Johns Hopkins Medicine
About Johns Hopkins Medicine
“Much of what we take for granted in medicine today—from the rigorous training of physicians and nurses to the emphasis on research and the rapid application of that research to patient care—emerged from innovations made more than a century ago at a brand new medical center in Baltimore, Johns Hopkins. Indeed, today the very name Johns Hopkins means medicine to a majority of Americans, according to a recent Gallup poll.
Hopkins now uses one overarching name—Johns Hopkins Medicine—to identify its whole medical enterprise. This $4 billion virtual organization unites the physicians and scientists of The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine with the health professionals and facilities that make up the broad Johns Hopkins Health System.”
Takeaways: Johns Hopkins Medicine_Brief
From the 1889 opening of The Johns Hopkins Hospital, to the opening of the School of Medicine four years later, there emerged the concept of combining research, teaching and patient care. This model, the first of its kind, would lead to a national and international reputation for excellence and discovery.
Today, Johns Hopkins uses one overarching name—Johns Hopkins Medicine—to identify its entire medical enterprise. This $5 billion system unites the physicians and scientists of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine with the health professionals and facilities that make up the broad, integrated Johns Hopkins Health System.
Learn more about Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Download Fast Facts
- Read The 10-Year Report 1997 to 2007: Three Little Words
- Read The Biennial Report — A Time for Transformations: 2012 and Beyond
- Community Benefits ReportLearn more about Charity care and other community outreach.
- Subscribe to the Johns Hopkins Medicine Update Email Newsletter
- Learn more about Research: Eyes on the Goal
- Read The Renaissance Dean
The key components of Johns Hopkins Medicine are:
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital – Fast Facts
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center – Fast Facts
- All Children’s Hospital – Fast Facts
- Howard County General Hospital – Fast Facts
- Sibley Memorial Hospital – Fast Facts
- Suburban Hospital – Fast Facts
- Johns Hopkins Community Physicians
- Johns Hopkins Home Care Group
- Johns Hopkins HealthCare
- Johns Hopkins Health System
- Johns Hopkins Medicine International
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. (2013). About Johns Hopkins Medicine. Retrieved October 16, 2008, from http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/about/index.html
Johns Hopkins University: Institute for Computational Medicine. (n.d.) About the institute. Retrieved January 25, 2013, from http://www.icm.jhu.edu/about-icm/index.html